©picture alliance / AA | Sefa Karacan
Will it remain empty promises or will Putin and Zelensky keep their word? In any case, the run-up to the ceasefire announced unilaterally each time went particularly bloody and violent.
Russia was the first to declare a unilateral cease-fire on May 8 and 9. Russian news agencies announced this based on a communication from the Russian Defense Ministry. President Vladimir Putin said as much during a telephone conversation with his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump last week. Meanwhile, Russia has also officially declared a combat pause. After all, on May 8 and 9, Russia commemorates its victory over Nazi Germany during World War II. That commemoration will also be accompanied by a large military parade in Moscow this year. Russia is already warning of heavy retaliatory attacks on central Kiev if Ukraine tries to disrupt the celebration.
Like the Russian president, Ukrainian President Zelensky also wants a cease-fire this week. Only they clearly don't have their agendas aligned. Indeed, Zelensky wants a cease-fire starting at midnight on the night of May 5-6. He writes that in a post on X. Zelensky denounces that Putin wants a cease-fire only on May 8 and 9, in commemoration of the Soviet Union's victory over Nazi Germany during World War II. "We consider human lives more important than any 'celebration,'" the Ukrainian president said. "It is time for Russian leaders to take concrete steps to end their war, especially since the Russian Defense Ministry believes it cannot hold a parade in Moscow without the goodwill of Ukraine."
During the night from Monday to Tuesday, Ukraine has already attacked one of Russia's largest oil refineries. So reports Russian Governor Alexander Drozdenko. The attack caused a fire, but it is said to be under control by now; moreover, there were no deaths. The Kirishinefteorgsintez oil refinery accounts for some 6.6 percent of Russia's total oil capacity and is therefore strategically important. Moreover, the Russian ministry reports that last night 289 Ukrainian drones were intercepted and destroyed by the air force.
Russia also remained active ahead of the possible cease-fire. Indeed, local authorities report that it carried out a drone and missile attack on a gas plant in Poltava, Ukraine, on the night of Monday to Tuesday. That killed as many as five people, while 31 others were wounded. According to the Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz , 3 employees and 2 emergency workers from the Ukrainian Emergency Service (DSNS) were involved. Also in eastern Ukraine, in Kharkiv to be exact, 1 person was killed and 1 was injured in a Russian attack.
"Cynical to call for ceasefire"
The Ukrainian president responded after the Russian attack on X: "It is completely cynical to call for a cease-fire for propaganda celebrations while attacks are being carried out every day. Russia can stop at any time, then the war will stop and so will we. Peace is needed, but that requires real steps. Ukraine will respond appropriately."
So it is unclear for now whether either side will abide by the unilaterally announced ceasefire this week.
©picture alliance / AA | Sefa Karacan
Struggle to succeed Starmer could bring UK back to EU
- May 18, 2026 13:30
WHO declares state of emergency over Ebola outbreak in the Congo
- May 18, 2026 13:10
