© Chris Robert via Unsplash
The number of young people affected by suspected acute meningitis in southern England continues to rise. According to the latest data from the UK Health Security Agency, the number of reported cases has reached 27. Of these, 15 have been confirmed and 12 are still under investigation. The death toll remains at two: a 21-year-old boy and an 18-year-old girl.
Health authorities are not ruling out the possibility that the outbreak is not yet fully under control. A London hospital has recorded a new admission of a person from County Kent, the epicenter of the infections.
How the bacteria spread
The causative agent of the outbreak has been identified as meningococcus B (MenB). According to events reconstructed so far, a nightclub in Canterbury, Club Chemistry, is believed to be where the bacteria circulated among visitors who later fell ill. Prime Minister Keir Starmer urged anyone who visited the club on March 5, 6 or 7 to contact authorities to get preventive antibiotics. A related case has also been reported in France, in a student who studies at the University of Kent.
Authorities' response
In the House of Commons, Health Minister Wes Streeting described the situation as 'unprecedented'. He stressed that the approach is still being coordinated nationwide and has not been declared an emergency for the time being. Some 2,500 doses of preventive antibiotics have already been dispensed and a targeted vaccination campaign has been launched for some 5,000 students in the area.
The population group most exposed are young people born after 2015, the year the U.K. introduced vaccination against MenB for newborns and young children: those who grew up before that received no protection.
Patients' voices
Some testimonies from people who have lived through the disease are now surfacing in the public eye. One 21-year-old college student, Annabelle Mackay, said she temporarily lost her eyesight and still has trouble walking.
Race to vaccination
Meera Chand, director of strategic response, said, "The UKHSA's latest laboratory analyses confirm that the vaccine offered to students and other eligible groups should provide protection against this circulating strain of MenB. Additional research is ongoing to better understand its properties."
It's critical that people be aware of the signs and symptoms of invasive meningococcal disease and seek immediate medical attention if they or someone they know develops symptoms. The risk to the general population remains low and the UKHSA continues to work with partners to detect contacts and offer necessary care.
The risk to Europe
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has estimated the risk to the European Union population as very low. It emphasizes that bacterial meningitis does not spread in the community as easily as a respiratory virus. Still, the agency advises staying alert for any imported cases in travelers returning from the Kent region, and calls on national healthcare systems to remain vigilant.
(©GreenMe.it 2026 / Managing Editor: Selma Keshkire - The Press Junction /Picture: Chris Robert via Unsplash)
Struggle to succeed Starmer could bring UK back to EU
- May 18, 2026 13:30
WHO declares state of emergency over Ebola outbreak in the Congo
- May 18, 2026 13:10
